Chapter 6: Mentoring Conversations
Mentoring conversations—whether sustained over long periods of time or conducted “on the run”—are much more likely to happen in a culture that values and practices mentoring in many forms and locations throughout the college. This chapter explores five essential characteristics of meaningful mentoring conversations:
- Mentoring conversations create space for students to be heard and to be human.
- Mentoring conversations include “nitty-gritty” guidance and knowledge.
- Mentoring conversations include “warm handoffs” that facilitate yet more relationships.
- Mentoring conversations are especially important during low moments in students’ lives.
- Mentoring conversations leave legacies.