During a two-year appointment, CEL Scholars will develop expertise in a specific aspect of engaged learning and will create resources on that topic to be shared through CEL’s web site and in other scholarly venues. The CEL Scholar position is an opportunity for an Elon faculty member to develop and deepen a professional development trajectory that includes scholarly activity on a high-impact practice or other engaged learning topic.
Applicants are not required to have advanced knowledge of the Center-identified topic when they apply, but they should be committed to rigorously studying and developing expertise in the topic during the two-year position. This focused exploration will allow CEL Scholars to contribute to the Center’s resources and publications, as well as position themselves among national and international scholars of their topic and engaged learning.
Scholars will receive 1 course reassignment/year and a summer stipend equivalent to FRD’s summer fellowship for each of two consecutive summers to support focused work on the CEL Scholar’s topic, as well as a $3,000/year draw account to be spent on CEL-related professional expenses and activities. Since the summer stipend is intended to support significant summer study on the CEL Scholar’s topic, the Scholar’s summer activity may not exceed two units of work (e.g., serve as a CEL Scholar and mentor one SURE student).
A new CEL Scholar is named each year, resulting in two rotating CEL Scholar positions. Applicants must be permanent, full-time teaching faculty at Elon.
Please direct questions about this position to Jessie L. Moore, Director of CEL.
Current CEL Scholars
- 2020-2022 CEL Scholar: David Buck, Associate Professor of Psychology, focusing on collaborative projects and assignments
- 2019-2021 CEL Scholar: Phillip Motley, Associate Professor of Communication Design, focusing on immersive learning experiences
Former CEL Scholars
- 2018-2020 CEL Scholar: Buffie Longmire-Avital, Associate Professor of Psychology and Coordinator of African and African-American studies, focusing on diversity and inclusion in high-impact practices
- 2017-2019 CEL Scholar: Ketevan Kupatadze, Senior Lecturer in Spanish in the Department of World Languages and Cultures, focusing on student-faculty partnerships
Former CEL Senior Scholars
- 2019-2020 CEL Senior Scholar: Michael Carignan, associate professor of history
- 2018-2019 CEL Senior Scholar: Eric Hall, professor of exercise science and faculty athletics representative
Call for Applications
- 2021-2023 CEL Scholar – Call for Applications (Deadline: November 1, 2020)
- 2020-2022 CEL Scholar – Call for Applications (Deadline has passed)
- 2019-2021 CEL Scholar – Call for Applications (Deadline has passed)
- 2018-2020 CEL Scholar – Call for Applications (Deadline has passed)
- 2017-2019 CEL Scholar – Call for Applications (Deadline has passed)