CEL Reviews and CEL Retrospectives
The Center for Engaged Learning (CEL) publishes reviews of recent authored and edited books on engaged learning and teaching. Submissions for CEL Reviews should offer a summary and critical evaluation of the book(s) under review, placing the publication(s) in conversation with other scholarship on the topic.
The Center for Engaged Learning also publishes retrospective reviews of classic or foundational articles, chapters, and authored and edited books on engaged learning and teaching. Submissions for CEL Retrospectives should offer a summary of the foundational text under review and share a critical evaluation of the text in relation to higher education’s evolving scholarship and practices associated with the topic.
CEL Reviews and CEL Retrospectives…
- Can be commissioned by CEL Staff, or potential authors can send inquiries to CEL staff about books that interest them;
- Should have titles different than the book(s)/article(s) under review;
- Should include a descriptive summary of the book(s)/article(s) – accounting for approximately one-third of the review – and a critical evaluation of the significance of the book(s)/article(s) in the context of current research, theory, and practice – accounting for approximately two-thirds of the review;
- Generally are 1500-2500 words in length for individual books/articles or up to 3500 words in length for reviews of multiple texts; and
- Use Chicago Author-Date citation style.
Potential reviewers should contact CEL Staff before submitting a review.
Our general policy is that commissioned reviews are due three months from the receipt of the book(s).
CEL Reviews and CEL Retrospectives are reviewed by CEL’s Director or Executive Director, who may request revisions prior to publication. CEL’s Managing Editor provides copyediting support for posts. CEL Staff reserve the right to reject manuscripts that do not conform to the critical standards of the CEL Reviews or CEL Retrospectives blog series.
CEL Reviews and CEL Retrospectives reflect the Center for Engaged Learning’s continuing commitment to producing high-quality, open-access resources on engaged learning in higher education, complementing CEL’s open-access book series, resource pages, blog series, and videos.